top of page

Frequently asked questions

What sort of base will I require for my outdoor building?

Base Prep
(We recommend you consult a qualified contractor)


All base work is the responsibility of the customer; we require a solid, level base either paving slabs, concrete or decking.

When constructing a base it is vital to ensure the edges can support upwards of 2 - 3 tonnes. The edges must not be chipped or crumbling.

The base may be constructed by forming a concrete slab. The poured concrete must sit on a layer of well- compacted hard-core and poured to a minimum depth of 100mm. We would recommend a depth of 150mm, depending on the composition of the concrete poured.

Alternatively, suitable concrete slabs may be used. Preparation for a slab base must include a good layer of compacted hard-core, a dressing of sharp sand and the slabs must be cemented in place.

Prior to base installation the ground must be level and free of all loose soil and debris.

It is essential that the base does not run out of level by more than 10mm end to end, is solid and with no possibility of slump or movement.

Will I require planning permission?

You may require planning permission to install a Sherwood Outdoor Living outdoor building. It is the responsibility of the customer to seek and obtain planning permission as needed. In the first instance, you should contact your local planning authority, who will be able to offer case-by-case advice.

Find your local planning authority:

Our outdoor buildings are considered Class E buildings under The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, which can be viewed here:

bottom of page